Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Exteel


The name of the game is Exteel(Official Site Here), it's from NC Soft, it's a massively multiplayer online third person shooter, and best of all, it's free. It's based on some kind of war between machines or something. I've never bothered to read up on the story behind it so I can't tell you what it's about. It does remind me a lot of Gundam, and that's why my call name in game is ZakuIIS.

The controls are simple, WASD to move, space to jump, double-tap a movement key to do a dash, R to change between your two weapon sets, the mouse to change the camera angles and view, and the left and right mouse buttons to shoot/slash/block depending on what kind of equipment you're using. Nice and simple controls, I wish every game would be like that. There are levels and ranks in the game. I'm guessing the military rank is just for show, and your level lets you upgrade some stats like health, speed, armor, aim, and other abilities. You start with a basic unit, or mobile suit as I like to imagine them, and can either buy new separate parts such as head, arms, legs, etc. or if you save up enough credits you can buy a full set of armor for your whole body. Then come the equipment which includes pistols, sub machine guns, rifles, long range rocket/grenade launchers, swords, shields, healing guns, under-arm blades, and these things that look like those jousting pikes. After the weapons you get the extras which are just different paint jobs, faster respawn charges, and repair kits.

After I stopped playing about a month or two ago, and coming back just yesterday, the game hasn't improved that much, but there are some new things that they've added. A few new weapons and paint jobs were added, and a lot of the equipment that you had to use NCCoins(the game's micro payment option to enhance your gaming experience) to buy has been released so you can purchase it with credit you gain in the game. A new game mode, Capture the Flag, has also been added and after a few rounds of playing it myself I think they worked it out well.

All in all, if you like Gundam and fast paced Third Person Shooters, you should definitely check out Exteel. If I had to rate this, I would give it an 8.5/10, only because I think they should have added some more armor types and weapons to the game.

No comments: